Posts for category: Gastroenterology
Are you dealing with belly pain? Just about everyone at one point or another will experience a stomachache, and they can have numerous causes. Most of the causes aren't serious and can be diagnosed and treated. However, sometimes it's is a sign of a serious condition. Gastro Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH offers a range of treatments for this condition. Here are 7 steps to manage stomach pain.
1. Call your doctor. Make an appointment with our gastroenterologist in Lima OH if your pain lasts more than a few days. Because abdominal pain is such a vague symptom, calling a doctor could help you figure out if you need to worry. If you have severe pain, head to an urgent-care center right away.
2. Skip the coffee. If acid reflux is causing your stomachache, consider cutting down or, even better, cutting out caffeine. If you think coffee could be the culprit, try eliminating it for several days a week. The only way to know is to limit it for a defined period of time and see if your pain goes away.
3. Go to the gym. Exercise helps digestive problems, so following through with your daily workout could relieve your digestive problems. Just don’t push your body if the discomfort makes movement unbearable. If your stomach pain isn’t going away, hold off on exercise until you know what’s wrong and can treat it.
4. Take OTC medicine. Look to over-the-counter medications for pain relief. Acetaminophen is often used to treat abdominal pain. Stay away from non-steroidal anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen because they can irritate your stomach. Proton-pump inhibitors are safe and effective at reducing a burning/heartburn type of pain. They reduce acid by blocking acid production in the stomach.
5. Try an anti-gas drug. The over-the-counter anti-gas drug simethicone can ease your discomfort when you’re feeling gassy. Because our bodies don’t absorb simethicone, the medicine doesn’t have any common side effects, so patients can use it four times a day without concern.
6. Pop an antacid. For an over-the-counter option that isn’t so severe, give an antacid a try. Antacids may give you some immediate pain relief. But they’re targeting the symptom, not any underlying health condition, so talk to our Lima, OH gastroenterologist if your pain doesn’t improve.
7. Treat it with heat. Heating pads have been used for decades to remedy stomachaches and menstrual pain. Placing a heating pad or hot pack on your stomach can help relieve pain. Heat relaxes tense muscles and eases indigestion, so taking a warm bath may also help to ease the symptoms of an upset stomach.
Stand up to abdominal pain and start enjoying life again! Call the gastroenterologists at Gastro Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH at 419-227-8209 right now to schedule an appointment. Our treatments will ease your pain and help you get back to a healthy and happy life.