Posts for: February, 2019
Are you experiencing abdominal pain?
Colon cancer affects thousands of Americans each year, with more than 95,000 people being diagnosed with the condition in 2016 alone, according to the American Cancer Society. One of the best ways to detect colon cancer is by visiting your Lima, OH, doctor for a video capsule endoscopy.
Here's some more information about endoscopies.
Video Capsule Endoscopy Screening:
A video capsule has a small camera that's swallowed by patients. It flows through their digestive system to show your doctor if there's anything to worry about. The camera is a wireless piece of technology that transmits several pictures using a small recording device. Your doctor then downloads these images to examine if there are potential tumors or other any sources of bleeding or abdominal pain.
It's a painless and non-invasive procedure that helps people detect early stages of cancer and is recommended for adults ages 50 to 75, according to the CDC.
In addition to colon cancer screening, this procedure detects:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease)
- Tumors in the small intestine
Other Colon Cancer Symptoms
Unexplained weight loss and abdominal pain aren't the only symptoms—there are some others that aren't always obvious. Here are the signs that you need to visit your doctors in Lima:
- Bowel Habit Changes: Continuous constipation or diarrhea for more than four weeks may be a sign of cancer
- Fatigue: Colon cancer results in patients feeling weak and fatigued
- Incomplete Evacuation: If you are experiencing constant bowel movements, even if you've just had a bowel movement, then see your doctor right away
- Blood in Your Stool: Hemorrhoids are usually accompanied by blood in stool, but blood may also be a sign of a more serious condition
How to Schedule an Appointment
If you would like more information on endoscopies and how they can help you, don't hesitate to contact the doctors at Gastro-Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH. Dial (419) 227-8209 to schedule an appointment today!