Posts for: August, 2021
If you’ve ever experienced symptoms of heartburn, you know that they can feel totally debilitating and can really impact your day and your ability to enjoy the activities you love. Your gastroenterologists at Gastro-Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, can help you identify common symptoms of heartburn and can tell you how you can treat and minimize these symptoms.
Identifying Symptoms of Heartburn
Heartburn is usually identified as a burning sensation in your chest and can usually occur after eating, in the evening, or when lying down or bending over to reach something. Occasional heartburn can be normal, but when heartburn becomes more persistent, it may be a sign of something more serious.
Some common symptoms of heartburn include:
- A burning sensation in the chest
- Pain that gets worse when laying down or bending over
- A bitter or acidic taste in the mouth
Treating Your Heartburn Symptoms
When you experience symptoms of heartburn, it’s important to understand how to treat symptoms and when it’s time to see your gastroenterologist in Lima, OH. Some common ways to treat your heartburn is with:
- Antacids- Antacids can provide temporary relief but are not a long-term solution for healing your esophagus.
- H-2-Receptor Antagonists- These can help to reduce the irritation from stomach acid and are known to last longer than antacids.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors- These are another way to help reduce irritation from stomach acid.
If you experience heartburn more than twice a week, symptoms continue even with medication, you feel consistently nauseous, or you experience weight loss due to difficulty eating, you should contact your gastroenterologist for an appointment immediately.
Contact Your Gastroenterologists Today!
Don’t ignore the signs of heartburn, treat them! Contact your gastroenterologists at Gastro-Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, to learn more about managing your heartburn symptoms today! Call (419) 227-8209 to schedule an appointment today.