Hemorrhoids are usually a result of increased pressure in the rectal area, and are more common as people get older, according to the Harvard Health Publishing, which is why visiting your Lima, OH, gastroenterologist is vital.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
1. What are hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are lumps that develop near the anus. The veiny lumps are hard to manage since they are located in an area used frequently.
There are two types of Hemorrhoids, external, which are found outside of the anal opening, and internal, which are found inside of the anal opening. Both, nevertheless, are painful.
2. How do people get hemorrhoids?
Anyone can get hemorrhoids due to increased pressure during,
- Being overweight
- Straining during bowel movements
3. What are symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Symptoms vary from one person to another but may include:
- Rectal pain
- Itching, bleeding
Internal hemorrhoids include symptoms of blood, or mucus, in your stool.
External hemorrhoids include symptoms of seeing or feeling bulges in the anal area.
4. What are some hemorrhoid treatments?
Your Lima gastroenterologist will first examine your situation and conclude whether you have hemorrhoids. Then, depending on your specific situation, they will provide:
- Over-the-counter or prescribed hemorrhoid cream to reduce swelling
- Place bands at the protrusion to decrease hemorrhoid size slowly
- Perform surgery, hemorrhoidectomy, where they remove and staple tissue to prevent hemorrhoid formation around the anus
5. Are there other treatments?
You can manage hemorrhoid pain using natural solutions. Here are some tips:
- Sitting in a bath of warm water for about a half an hour
- Avoid sitting on hard surfaces, use a pillow or doughnut instead
- Avoid sitting down if possible, instead lay down on your side
- Avoid straining when using the restroom
- Eat food that is high in fiber and exercise more frequently to prevent constipation
If you have any questions or concerns, call your doctor in Lima, OH, at (419) 227-8209 for more information.