Posts for tag: Heartburn
If you’ve ever experienced symptoms of heartburn, you know that they can feel totally debilitating and can really impact your day and your ability to enjoy the activities you love. Your gastroenterologists at Gastro-Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, can help you identify common symptoms of heartburn and can tell you how you can treat and minimize these symptoms.
Identifying Symptoms of Heartburn
Heartburn is usually identified as a burning sensation in your chest and can usually occur after eating, in the evening, or when lying down or bending over to reach something. Occasional heartburn can be normal, but when heartburn becomes more persistent, it may be a sign of something more serious.
Some common symptoms of heartburn include:
- A burning sensation in the chest
- Pain that gets worse when laying down or bending over
- A bitter or acidic taste in the mouth
Treating Your Heartburn Symptoms
When you experience symptoms of heartburn, it’s important to understand how to treat symptoms and when it’s time to see your gastroenterologist in Lima, OH. Some common ways to treat your heartburn is with:
- Antacids- Antacids can provide temporary relief but are not a long-term solution for healing your esophagus.
- H-2-Receptor Antagonists- These can help to reduce the irritation from stomach acid and are known to last longer than antacids.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors- These are another way to help reduce irritation from stomach acid.
If you experience heartburn more than twice a week, symptoms continue even with medication, you feel consistently nauseous, or you experience weight loss due to difficulty eating, you should contact your gastroenterologist for an appointment immediately.
Contact Your Gastroenterologists Today!
Don’t ignore the signs of heartburn, treat them! Contact your gastroenterologists at Gastro-Intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, to learn more about managing your heartburn symptoms today! Call (419) 227-8209 to schedule an appointment today.
At Gastro-intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, our team of gastroenterologists see and treat a common digestive problem: heartburn. Also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD, heartburn can, and should, be managed for better GI health.
The details on heartburn
If you have frequent heartburn, you're not alone. Approximately 60 million adults in the United States do, says the American College of Gastroenterology. Usually described as a burning pain behind the breastbone, GERD happens when stomach contents back up into the esophagus, resulting in:
- Extreme discomfort after meals and at bedtime
- Food entrapment in the esophagus
- Bad breath
- Chronic, hacking cough
- Nausea and vomiting
Many heartburn sufferers have a hiatal hernia, a protrusion of part of the stomach through the diaphragm. Others experience heartburn repeatedly because of:
- A diet high in fats and acidic foods
- Tight clothes
- A sedentary lifestyle
- A poorly functioning sphincter between the stomach and esophagus
Diagnosis and treatment of heartburn
Whatever the reason for your heartburn symptoms, you should investigate them to avoid more serious problems such as stomach ulcers or a pre-cancerous condition called Barrett's esophagus.
At Gastro-intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, your GI physician will review your heartburn symptoms and possibly do an endoscopic examination with a lighted tube and camera. It's important to visualize the interior of the upper GI tract to look for areas of erosion, bleeding or polyps which could be cancerous. The doctor can take tissue samples for biopsy as needed and also discover structural abnormalities, such as a hiatal hernia.
Your treatment plan for heartburn will fit your unique GI needs. The doctor may advise:
- Losing weight
- Quitting all tobacco products
- Limiting your alcohol intake
- Eating smaller, more frequent meals
- Wearing clothing which fits loosely at the waist
- Reducing the intake of spicy, fatty and acidic foods
- Taking proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec), H2 antagonists (Pepcid) or antacids daily
Feel your very best
With the help of the caring team at Gasto-intestinal Associates in Lima, OH, you can manage heartburn for better GI health and overall well-being. For a consultation with one of our highly-qualified physicians, please call the office at (419) 227-8209.